Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Homer to Seward

We left the cold shores of Homer and headed to Seward.



  The Kenai Peninsula has the most roads in Alaska so it's possible to see quite a bit of it.



I think this is Mt. Turnabout, a volcano that is part of the Aleutian Chain, called the Ring of Fire.  We didn't have to go clear north to Anchorage, we turned off at Cooper Landing (a gas station and a restaurant) and headed south again.


Along the way we found a nice campground.  It was too early in the day to camp but we enjoyed a very scenic lunch.




It's rare when I like a picture of me, but I like this one.




If you take the train from Anchorage to Whittier, you'll see scenes like this too.






The girls and I thought this was a funny thing to do. Gary was less amused but he took the picture anyway.



Of course we had to stop and visit Exit Glacier.




It's possible to get very close to this glacier.  The wind that came off it was impressive and cold.









6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Terrific captures as always! I have so enjoyed your trip to Alaska! What beauty you were able to enjoy and capture! And I love the photo of you! It's terrific! So glad you all had such a great time, Loran! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm really enjoying your Alaska trip. Great photographs.

Gaelyn said...

Loran, all these great adventures and captures of Alaska just make me want to go there more and more. Thanks for sharing this trip.

Susan said...

Hello from Zurich, Switzerland - I'm enjoying your blog, clear over here; especially since I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. Your photos are beautiful, and I'm reliving some great memories.

A great campground that our family went to a lot when I was a girl was Quartz Creek, and Trail River.

God bless your journey!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Wow----what beauty... That Peninsula is definitely a must for us--if we get to Alaska...

You got so close to Exit Glacier, didn't you? Incredible....

Hugs,
Betsy

Janie said...

That's a great photo of you, and the glacier pics are very cool... literally and figuratively.