Wednesday, July 7, 2010

On the way to Denali National Park



Mt. McKinley is a famous mountain for many reasons.  It's the tallest mountain in the U.S.  It's also one of the hardest to see.  It rises 4 miles, 6.4 km, from the base to the summit,  at the highest it is 20,320' or 6,194m. The top has its own climate, usually cloudy.  The scenery around it isn't too shabby either.


If you look really hard (enlarge the picture) you can almost see it.


This is a "braided" river, a result of silt, slope and channels running through it.




This is the first and only "official" Mt. McKinley overlook.  We sometimes glimpsed the mountain at other times in other places but often there were trees in the way and no pullover.  Go figure.


OK, this is NOT my picture, but just so you can see the mountain on a clear day, here it is.

Any guesses on what kind of flower this is?  Something that wasn't a dandelion which was blooming everywhere.


We stayed at Byer's Lake for the night.  This cabin was part of the scenery.  A woman from New York married an Alaskan and moved here.  They expected to make it rich but didn't.  She had two children here before they gave up and moved away.


It looks like a nice place to live in the summer.


The water was so clear.


Early evening, still no night to speak of.  We enjoyed our walk around the lake.

10 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

So few people ever go to DeNali and actually see the top of Mt. McKinley... BUT--even still, your pictures are gorgeous.. That is one place I do not want to miss seeing...

Hugs,
Betsy

Gaelyn said...

You SAW Denali!!!! Now I am Really jealous. Your pics are Awesome!

DeniseinVA said...

You shot some magnificent scenery here. Denali is on my list of things to see, hope I make it there one day. Whenever I see photos I feel it pulling me - lol.
An English Girl Rambles

Kay said...

I've always wanted to visit Alaska, but probably will never get the chance. I'm loving my trip with you via your photos.

Barbara said...

Your white flowers look like a dogwood.

Also, in response to your comment on my Tanzania blog, I'd really like to meet you in person, too. I feel like we're friends already, even though it's only electronic!

Sylvia K said...

Your photos are indeed awesome and what a sight! Incredibly beautiful! I know this is a trip that none of your will ever forget and I'm so happy you got to make it and with your daughters -- even better! Hope you have a great weekend, Loran!

Sylvia

Barb said...

Fabulous shots, Loran - both of the mountain and the lake. Looks like you stayed at an idyllic place.

Janie said...

Great photos of Denali!
Your mystery flower may be Bunchberry, of the dogwood family.

Cher' Shots said...

I feel blessed to have seen Denali on a clear day (several times) but I used to live in North Pole, Alaska and we got there more often than the average bear. I remember how fresh the air was! Enjoy the remainder of your trip ~ wish I were there with you.

Martha Z said...

Beautiful shots, Loran. Looks like you had some nice weather. I've started watching, the beginning of our trip is now on the 10 day forcast, rain, rain, rain.