Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sunrise Skywatch


I actually took this picture Tuesday on the way to work.  This morning I left the house at 6 a.m. and it was dark.  I had to drive 150 miles to a meeting in Provo, sit in that meeting for 5 hours and then drive home.  It was dark when I got home too.  I could barely get out of my car when I parked in my garage because I was so stiff from sitting.  I am very grateful that I don't have to do that very often (once a month).  I wouldn't be cut out for a truck driving job that's for sure.  

In the state of Utah there are massive budget cuts about to hit the vulnerable people of our Milk and Honey Beehive state.  They are discussing cutting services like Meals on Wheels and autism pre-school along with mental health services and substance abuse services.  So if we are in an economic crisis, it makes sense to cut services that help keep people fed and emotionally supported, right?  If you don't agree, call your local state legislator and the governor's office and tell them that you think the budget cuts should go across the board.  Or not.

For perhaps more energetic and optimistic posts, check SkyWatch here.

15 comments:

Janie said...

That's a beautiful sunrise photo. I hadn't realized such essential services were on the chopping block. Guess I need to catch up on the state news. With so many jobs being lost, folks need help more than ever, I agree.

Guy D said...

Beautiful shot of the sunrise, perfect for skywatch Friday. Have a great weekend.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Carol said...

Great photo.... love the dark with touches of pink...thanks for info...

Anonymous said...

The contrast of colors are so great. It's nice to see the sun breaking from the dark skies.

My SWF entries are here and here. Hope you can pass by as well. Thanks!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi MM---That is an incredible sunset picture. Thanks!!!

I couldn't be a truck driver either. I just can't sit in a car for long periods of time anymore. Talk about STIFF!!! (Getting old is the pits!)

Hugs,
Betsy

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great picture. I'm sorry about the financial situation in Utah.
We have a child with autism so we know how important services are, especially for the young ones.

Gaelyn said...

That's a beautiful sunrise with a piece of contrail.
Doesn't seem right to cut social services just when people need them the most.

Anonymous said...

Dark and light together. Beautiful picture for SkyWatch.
This are cuts about the wrong matter.
I wish you a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Optimistic or not, that is one beautiful sunrise!

penny said...

Fantastic sunrise photo, thanks for a bright start to a new day and the news update!
be Happy, Pam

Sheila Keller-Powell said...

Hello Mt. Mamma! Yep, living in Utah is unique....the politics of the state drive me nuts. I am sooooo tired of our legislature treating the education budget in Utah as a "rainy day fund"!! Budgets get tight.."oh what the heck, let's take money from the teachers and schools!"....GRRRRRRRR
I get tired of our Legis. treating UT citizens like a third world country.

Thanks for visiting my blog too..

imac said...

Great capture.

Diane AZ said...

I like your sunrise photo. Good thing you had your camera with you on your way to work!

Lisa M. said...

I have spoked to mine. Hope it was helpful.

I love the sunrise and it was so good to see you.

Seriously,like a water fall.

*smile*

Anonymous said...

I'm saddened to read of those budget cuts. I've taught people who require special needs.

On an up note, that is an awesome sunrise!