Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blue Skies in Rocky Mountain National Park





My husband and I spent last weekend in Boulder, Colorado.  To get there we drove through Rocky Mountain National Park.  If you enlarge the first picture you will see a moose in the water.  The trees look sick because pine bark beetles have been feasting on them to the detriment of the trees.


There are many scenic views in the park.  From the website:

Trail Ridge Road spans the Park and connects Estes Park on the east side to the town of Grand Lake on the western slope. It's the highest continuous paved road in the United States, reaching an elevation of 12,183 feet. It follows a path that the Ute and other Native American peoples used for thousands of years.


The Trail Ridge road was closed due to snow the last time we visited (in September).  It's amazing to be able to drive above timberline.


There was a lot of road construction along the way.  The cars are stopped on the ridge.








Hiking on a trail in the tundra literally took our breath away!  The air is very thin at 12,000 feet (3657m)!

Visit SkyWatch Friday to admire views from many elevations.

15 comments:

Jessica said...

When I lived in Colorado I went to Rocky all the time. I miss it so much! Thanks for the great pics. I recommend camping out in the valley campground area (cant remember the name) for Elk fest in the fall. Its amazing!

George said...

The views of the mountains are absolutely spectacular. It was refreshing to see some snow after all the hot weather we've endured. Pine bark beetles have done a lot of damage here in the Smokies as well.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Fabulous views, Loran. I hope to drive on the Trail Ridge Road sometime. The one time I was in that area, it was December and of course, that road was closed.

I also want to go back to Colorado and go to Pike's Peak sometime. Hope you two had a great time.

Hugs,
Betsy

EG CameraGirl said...

What a gorgeous place to hike but I hear you about the thin air. :)

Sylvia K said...

That had to be a fantastic trip! And what a gorgeous place! I bet the air was thin! Interesting to see the snow, there's still some snow in the Cascades as well. Love those blue skies! Your photos are superb as always, Loran, and I always feel like I've actually been there! Enjoy your weekend!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

What a great, great place it must be to live. Thank you for this escape. Please have you all a good Friday.

daily athens

Barb said...

Hi Loran, You were close to me! I still have snow on the nearby ridges, too. Soon, they will be covered by more. I guess college is starting at CU - that's where my sons went.

Shey said...

Yeah, fantastic shots & scenic views. Saw the moose in the first pic. Cool! This is totally worth the drive & hike. The elevation is very high, it would be a good place for stargazing too.

Jenny said...

How I'd love to see that with my own eyes! Thanks so much for sharing. Happy skywatching and happy Friday!

Gaelyn said...

The Rockies are breathtaking and I know what you mean about hiking at elevation. It is sad to see so many trees devastated by pine beetles. The forest looks like it hasn't seen fire in way too long which is part of the problem.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful series of photos, love the shot with the moose. the mountain scenery is gorgeous!

Al said...

It's been over 10 years since I've been to Rocky Mountain National Park, thanks for bringing back some memories with your wonderful photos.

Linda said...

So much sky!

Dreadful about the pine beetle.

Lisa Wilson said...

I love RMNP!! That's great that you saw a moose!

Janie said...

That road is amazing. Beautiful photos from your adventure.
Any time we get above 9,000, I notice the decreased oxygen.